Monday, July 1, 2013

February 2012


The next step was to build the stem’s mold. I followed the plans and built a plywood form to bend the stem. For a uniform bend I have found that you need many, many clamps and since I didn’t have sufficient clamps, I made clamps using two 5/16 x 6 inch eye bolts for clamps. Here’s what I did: I drilled 1” inch diameter holes in the bending form and then used ¾ dowels that went through the ‘eyes’ of the bolts and attached a short length on wood to the top to form a U bolt type configuration. These bolt clamps work extremely well as they don’t leave a ‘cupped’ area in the middle of a piece of wood like a C clamp does.

To make the stem I purchased a white oak board that measured 2x6x60 and ripped the oak into 17 1/8 strips. The white oak board cost $37. As you may know, white oak bends extremely well but it needs to be soaked in water prior to bending. I then soaked 8 strips in water for 3 days and bent them around the form. I found that the white oak bent easily without having to steam the wood. The downside of water soaking the wood is that it took a long time to dry; particularly in March. So to speed the process I decided to glue the strips together with Gorilla Glue. The moisture content in the wood aided the polyurethane glue to form a tight bond and formed an interior stem that had little if any spring back.






No comments:

Post a Comment